Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Long Walk

A clear and sunny sky a couple of weeks ago saw me a couple of miles north of Thorton-le-dale near the entrance to Dalby forest. I had just enough gear for an overnight trip + Jilly my dog.

A 30km walk north through Bickly I arrived at high Langdale near the source of the R.Derwent. around 8:30. A break for some food followed and I waited at an excellent felled clearing for Nightjars. These nocturnal birds appeared at 10pm along with barking Roe Deer and a couple of foxes.

A struggle east around at high Langdale farm I eventually decided to bivvi in the middle of sheep grazed field. Finishing off my last drop of whiskey around 12pm I slid into my winter sleeping bag liner and into my bivvi bag. It was much colder than I expected and I got little sleep. In the clear dawn I noticed ground frost on my bag!! Away at 5am I walked back to Robin Hood's Bay via Jugger howe beck. Very hard going in the deep heather and Bog Myrtle. Arrived at RHB around 1pm having completed around 47km.

No comments: